In choosing the right domain name for your website, ensure that it is a name that sends the right signals to get the most value. Sending the right signal means a domain name that will influence your click-through-rate, develop trust, roll off the tongue during mouth publicity, and get attention in search results. So, here are the points to help you choose the right domain name that will send the right signals and get the most value.
1. Choose the Right ExtensionMost popular websites use the extension .com. It doesn’t mean you should get the same domain extension without knowing the following:
- If your site is business-oriented, then using .com or .biz could be perfect. If you’re an organization, then .org is the most viable option.
- If the domain is targeting a local geographical area, then consider the SEO first. There are around 200 different country-code TLDs, pick the one that matches the users’ website country code, like .com.my or .my for Malaysia.
- If your business is targeting a global reach, intending to rank better in search results, then .com is the best choice.
Other top extensions you can use include:
- .co: an abbreviation for company, commerce, and community.
- .org: non-commercial organizations and nonprofits.
- .net: technical, Internet infrastructure sites.
- .biz: business or commercial use, like e-commerce sites.
- .info: informational sites.
- .me: blogs, resumes, or personal sites.