In choosing the right domain name for your website, ensure that it is a name that sends the right signals to get the most value.
Sending the right signal means a domain name that will influence your click-through-rate, develop trust, roll off the tongue during mouth publicity, and get attention in search results.
So, here are the points to help you choose the right domain name that will send the right signals and get the most value.
1. Choose the Right Extension
Most popular websites use the extension .com. It doesn’t mean you should get the same domain extension without knowing the following:
- If your site is business-oriented, then using .com or .biz could be perfect. If you’re an organization, then .org is the most viable option.
- If the domain is targeting a local geographical area, then consider the SEO first. There are around 200 different country-code TLDs, pick the one that matches the users’ website country code, like .com.my or .my for Malaysia.
- If your business is targeting a global reach, intending to rank better in search results, then .com is the best choice.
Other top extensions you can use include:
- .co: an abbreviation for company, commerce, and community.
- .org: non-commercial organizations and nonprofits.
- .net: technical, Internet infrastructure sites.
- .biz: business or commercial use, like e-commerce sites.
- .info: informational sites.
- .me: blogs, resumes, or personal sites.
2. Use keywords
When choosing a domain name for your website, use a name that is related to the business or service you offer.
For example, if you’re a building contractor, you could use greybuilders.com. It will help to boost your ranking in search, and it makes sense to your clients.
3. Don’t use numbers or hyphens
Using numbers in your domain name will likely confuse your audience. People who hear your domain name will be confused if they should type the number in words or numerically.
If you must include a number in your domain name, buy both variations. Example, fivechair.com and 5chair.com.
4. Do your research: Don’t use trademarks
Ensure that the name you pick isn’t trademarked or copyrighted.
Using another company’s name could result in legal actions that could cost you money and even your domain name.
5. Protect your business
Protect your brand by buying different variations of domain extensions, including the misspelt versions of your domain.
It prevents competitors from registering other versions of your website. Also, ensure that your customers are directed to your main website even if they mistype it.
6. Keep it short: Use a name easy to remember
Pick a name that is uncomplicated and easily relatable with your business.
It should be easy to pronounce and informative and also imply what your business is all about. If possible, make it catchy.
When you think of a name, share it with close friends to make sure it sounds appealing and makes sense to others.
7. Target your local area
If your business operates in a particular geographical location, add your city or state in your domain name to make it easy for local clients to find your business.
It will also help boost your Local SEO. Example, penangpainters.com.
8. Move fast
Domain names sell fast, and they’re also inexpensive. So, register your favourite domain name in Malaysia.
If you have any difficulty in finding a particular name, the domain registrars will suggest names during your domain search to help you find the perfect name for your website.
Deploy these strategies when choosing a name for your website. When you do this, you will be able to choose the right name for the website.
Do you wish to check the availability of your favourite domain names? Check now at Buy Domain Names.